Insider Tips from a CEO on How To Stand Out in the Job Market. How to get in front of the hiring manager, how to use LinkedIn and digital media to promote yourself and your career. Get CareerTalk and Career Coaching now.
Your thoughts have energy. The more you focus on what you hate about your current job or situation, the more of that you will get. On the contrary, when you are focused on what you WANT and LIKE about your reality and life, you get more of those things. Your dream job will manifest the faster you get clear on what is most important to you.
Manifesting your new more healthy and nurturing reality is much easier than you think. It just takes clarity and some thought and imagination on your part. I’m a certified Professional Coach, so I challenged a friend of mine to this exercise after he shared how unhappy he was in his current work situation and environment.
In order to get clear on what you want and make a change to create your ideal work or dream job, here’s a challenge you can accept or reject.
Write out the elements of your IDEAL next opportunity. Be as specific as possible and answer the following:
1. state your ideal specific type of work
- what do you love to do, what are you good at, what makes you light up
2. describe your specific type of client(s) or customers
- do you like working 1:1 with individual clients or customers, do you prefer group settings, etc
3. write specific details around the company/agency/or organization
- is it a start-up, Fortune 500, agency, non-profit, etc.
4. describe in detail your ideal work environment
- do you work in teams, independently, cross-departmentally
5. describe the type of people and level of interaction you would like
- do you want to be around extroverts, teaming, collaborative, or independent thinkers with minimal engagement
6. write and visualize specific details around the part of the city, location or neighborhood you ideally will work in
- do you want to work from home and occasionally go into the office, would you like to work with a global team, do you thrive on office interaction and want to go into the office to engage with others
7. get clear on the specific dollar amount you want along with the compensation structure
- state what you ideally want to make in exchange for your efforts, ideas and contributions — do you want salary for a specific time commitment, commissions for increased sales, a hybrid of both. Be open to possibilities because anything is possible — your job is to get very clear on YOUR ideal situation and ask to be drawn to it
8. get clear on specific details around vacation time time off , personal days off
- it’s easier to negotiate flexibility around hours, time off, vacation time and personal days upfront before you commit — maybe you’d like a take it as you need it vacation time policy work environment. Get clear on what is important to you, write it down and visualize it happening.
9. get clear on what you ideally want around work-from-home flexibility
- envision what fits most ideally with your life situation and work style, you may be more productive with a one-day-a week work from home plan, or some other hybrid
10. what are the qualities of your ideal supervisor/manager/boss
- do you like hands-on oversight or do you prefer more autonomy, identify the qualities of your ideal manager and list them specifically
You can and will manifest your ideal environment, opportunity or dream job, with the more clarity you have. The more specificity you write and imagine, believe and take steps to meet people who can introduce you to your ideal work, the faster it will happen. You first must see what you want, then believe that it exists, and take action to get yourself out in the world so that the universe can align you with your ideal work environment and experience.
I believe that we are all here to do work that we feel good about that contributes to the world in a way that makes things better for us all. If you are struggling to find that balance and connection to your higher purpose and are willing to take whatever steps are necessary to find it, raise your hand and step up. Whatever you believe is possible is possible. The word IM-possible confirms it — I M Possible.